In case you haven’t heard, it’s spot prawn season! This easy but tantalizing recipe comes from award-winning chef and cookbook author Angelo Prosperi-Porta.
• 1 lb fresh spot prawns (heads-off, peeled)
• 1 medium shallot (peeled and finely minced)
• 1 clove of garlic (peeled and finely minced)
• 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
• 2 tbsp butter
• 10 oz bag washed and trimmed spinach (or baby spinach)
• 1 oz Pernod (or Sambuca or Ouzo — any anise-flavoured liqueur)
• Salt and pepper
Using a medium-sized skillet, heat half the olive oil and butter on medium heat until melted.
Add the spinach and wilt for about two minutes. Keep warm. Heat the rest of the olive oil and butter in another skillet, add the shallot and garlic for about 30 seconds, or until aromatic. Increase the heat to medium-high and add the prawns. Cook for 30 seconds to one minute until they are opaque, then add the liqueur and season to taste. To serve, divide the spinach onto four plates and place the prawns on top.