A little bit savoury, a little bit sweet — this tequila-based cocktail is summer in a glass.
Photo by Jeffrey Bosdet
How to Make a Turmeric Tequila Smash
• 1 four-inch piece unpeeled turmeric root, chopped
• 3 slices cucumber
• Small handful cilantro, or to taste
• 1.5 oz tequila blanco
• 1.5 oz turmeric cordial (recipe below)
• Club soda
• Turmeric cordial (recipe below; makes a large batch)
Muddle turmeric root, cucumber and cilantro. Add tequila and cordial, then shake and pour into a highball glass. Top with club soda.
• 1 cup white sugar
• 1/4 cup hot water
• 50 grams chopped, peeled turmeric
• 1 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Steep hot water, sugar and turmeric for 24 hours. Strain, then add lime juice.